August von der Heydt and his brother-in-law Julius Schmits donate ten paintings by Hans von Marées. In 1907, a significant donation from Eduard Springmann expanded the copperplate engraving cabinet to include sculptures, a coin collection, arts and crafts, local history department, a library and a photo collection. The Hans Heinrich Freimuth Foundation contributed capital interest and a copperplate engraving collection of prints by Jacques Callot and William Hogarth to the museum.